Sunday, February 13, 2011

Perfumes of Love






“Apples,” he whispered.

“Perfume,” she gasped. “Glad you like it.”

“I love it.” His hands covered her breasts over the molded leather. “I want this off.”

“Uh huh.” She whimpered, trying to get to the tie. Yes, that’s what she should do. Why wouldn’t her fingers work?

The Kraken’s Mirror, available now from Decadent Publishing

Ah, Valentine’s Day is on the horizon…and my thoughts turned to perfume. No, I’m not really a perfume person, but I do like a few select ones. And most are simple perfumes. I like the scent of fruit and the scent of citrus…sometimes spice.

Now perfume is a particular science and involves all sorts of nuances. I’m not going to go into that. I can tell you that perfumes have three layers. The Top Note, the Heart or Middle Note and the Base Notes. Sounds like singing in harmony, doesn’t it?

I don’t think that is accidental.

Your choice of perfumes says a lot about you as a person. Now, Emily, in the small excerpt above, lands in the 1690s, in the Caribbean and she has with her a small vial of her favorite perfume. Which happens to be mine!

DKNY put out Be Delicious some years ago and its fresh apple scent seduced me. The Top Notes of Be Delicious are violet leaf, apple, grapefruit and magnolia and they invoke the uncomplicated and spontaneous. The Middle Notes are tuberose, lily of the valley, rose and violet and denote drama and intensity. The Base Notes are sandalwood, amber and musk and involve the intense and profound. Now, Be Delicious lingers at the top notes, and Emily is uncomplicated and very spontaneous.

But Silvestri, the man pursuing her sees the drama and intensity deep inside her. He understands the strength of her feelings and the things that hold her back. And he is astounded over and over again with the profound statements she makes when speaking of his curse.

Be Delicious plays into the storyline. Apples draw him to her and at one point are a sign from the great Albino Kraken of where to pay heed. And when her perfume runs low, he takes on the task of finding a substitute.

I think it’s very romantic!



Maureen O. Betita

24 comments:

Maureen said...

I do love my Be Delicious!

Unknown said...

I am not much of a perfume person, it kind of messes with my nose and sinuses.

lead[at]hotsheet[dot]com

Maureen said...

Virginia, that is so true of most modern perfumes. If you like a natural smells, try essential oils. They don't have a lot of the stuff that screws up sinuses. I'm the same way with perfumed candles, CANNOT handle them!

doxymom said...

I love it when authors work the various senses into their stories. Perfumes can be very sensual.



doxisrcool at aol.com

Maureen said...

Doxymom - I feel the same. Especially the sense of taste...like when they share chocolates... ;-)

Aging Ophelia said...

That IS romantic!
I've always loved two kinds of fragrances-- single blossom scents, and fruity scents. I remember when Scoundrel, hawked by Joan Collins, came out-- it had a delicious peach/apricot tinge that I adored, and it was well within my college-aged price range. And I've never stopped being a fan of Love's Fresh Lemon.
I'll have to sample your fave-- it sounds lovely.

Stephanie said...

Mmm...chocolaty fun! But yea I can't tolerate alot of scents either. Terrible allergies.

Elena Gray said...

I love the fruity scents. Candles, perfume, lotion are all fruity or vanilla. Absolutely no floral...ick...

cbandy10(at)hotmail(dot)com

Maureen said...

HH - Oh, that sounds lovely! Peah/Apricot...sounds delicous also. I wonder if that's part of why we love these scents. We want to be tasted...

Stephanie - I can remember when I was a telephone operator and a few of the ladies really poured on their scents...sitting near them was such a trial! Just way too heavy! I'd taste their perfumes, and not in a good way!

Maureen said...

Cindy L - I think for me it depends on the flower. Orange blossoms? Oh, yes. Lemon blossoms, oh, very yes! Jasmine? Eh, only lightly so. Magnolia? Way too much. Same with most roses, lilies, etc.

The real thing is wonderful, but the perfumes so seldom capture it with any reality.

Ellz said...

Fun post, I think I would like the middle or top ones. Me, I am a scented lotion girl-something that sticks on your skin all day and makes your skin soft and supple.

desitheblonde said...

bummer i can not use the stuff i can not wear any thing u i got in ashtam fits

Unknown said...

I'm not much into perfume. I tend to buy the Bath and Body Works lotions. Love them! Vanilla and coconut are my fave.

Maureen said...

Elie - I love when I find a nice scented lotion. I also love scented shower gels. The Body Shop makes a satsuma one that is divine!

Desi - Yup, a common complaint!

Amy - Lotions are such a nice way to wear perfume, without the added layer!

Maria D. said...

I think that the perfume you choose does say a lot about who you are...I'm not a fan of the DKNY Apple but I do like some of her other perfumes:)

junegirl63(at)gmail(dot)com

Maureen said...

Maria - I like so few perfumes. There was an Estee Lauder one I liked that reminded me of gingerbread and I liked one of J Lo's. And the DKNY that was considered their night scent... (I'm terrible with names!)

Di said...

I do enjoy a nice scent - it can really effect my mood.

sallans d at yahoo dot com

Maureen said...

Di - I've always heard citrus can raise spirits. It certainly does me!

Michaela said...

I have to pick a light fragrance or I'll be sneezing my head off. :(

Maureen said...

Michaela - Yeah, it's a problem. But I think light is best anyway!

Kathleen Ann Gallagher's Place to Reflect said...

I

I wore Be Delicious when it first came out. I loved it! The apple bottle was a perfect design for it.

It is romantic!

Maureen said...

Kathleen - I use it very sparingly...still have my original bottle! but the little roll on I got is nearly finished. And the lipgloss is long gone. Yeah, I got a package I loved!

I may find a small vial to put in my Club RT basket! ;-)

Raquel Byrnes said...

That is some interesting layering with the character, plot, and senses. What a great idea!
Edge of Your Seat Romance

Maureen said...

Thank you, Raquel! It wasn't really planned, but it all worked out perfectly!