Sunday, February 13, 2011

First Kiss Scene from Mr. Shipley's Governess by Joanne Troppello


In my latest inspirational romance, Mr. Shipley’s Governess, I loved writing the first kissing scene between the main characters, Sophie and Sebastian. Their love story is sweet, but the first time they kiss, they feel an electric connection and that starts them on a trail towards romance.

The first kiss happens when Sebastian finds Sophie reading in the library of his Family’s London town home. Sophie is a huge Jane Austen fan and Sebastian enjoys bantering back and forth with her over whether or not she thinks he is as charming as Mr. Knightly from Austen’s novel, Emma. When Sebastian can no longer stand to refrain from touching her soft lips, he corners her and they share that sweet, but passionate first kiss. Here is a short excerpt. I hope you enjoy it.

We enter the scene mid-way through their bantering…

“I see. You’re all about a woman’s prerogative.”

“Yes, I live by that rule.”

He played along, enjoying the playful banter. “Oh, so you’re one of those.”

“You’d better believe it. It’s my prerogative to change my mind whenever I want.”

He fluidly maneuvered his way to the ottoman where her feet rested and he sat down. “I hope you don’t change your mind about me.”

“Well, that all depends on you.”

“I’d better be on my best behavior then.”

Sophie got up quickly and before he realized it, she walked across the room to the bookshelf. “So, you really read Emma, too. That’s still surprising and sweet.”

He followed her. “You’re avoiding any serious conversation, young lady.”

She moved away, running her finger along the spines of the books. He kept following, backing her into a corner. She leaned her hands against the windowsill and backed up as far as possible. She laughed nervously. “So, tell me again why you interrupted me.”

“I did it because I’ve wanted to do this for a long time now.” He cupped her face, tracing the outline of her lips with his thumb. Then he lowered his mouth to hers and kissed her gently, at first, but soon his fervor matched hers. She put her arms around his neck and moved in closer. Finally, they pulled away from each other, both breathless. “I…I’m sorry.”

She touched his cheek. “Don’t be. I’ve wanted you to do that for a long time, too.”

He squeezed her hand. “I should get back to work. David’s going to wonder what happened to me.”

Sophie gave him a flirty smile. “Oh, I’m sure he knows.”

“Now try not to compare me too much to Mr. Knightly because there’s no contest, really.”

As he walked out of the room, he still felt the warmth of her lips on his and the softness of her body in his arms. He chided himself. “Shake it off, man.” Then he walked down the hall in search of his brother.

Joanne Troppello, Author of Mr. Shipley’s Governess

www.joannetroppello.weebly.com

Find my book online: http://www.allromanceebooks.com/product-mrshipley039sgoverness-481158-149.html





2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love first kisses.

lead[at]hotsheet[dot]com

doxymom said...

That was a very vivid scene. I love the promise it holds for the characters.

doxisrcool at aol.com