Sunday, February 13, 2011

Trusting Your Heart - Nina Pierce

Let's face it, humans aren't meant to spend their lives alone. We aren't solitary creatures. We need one another and not just in a familial or best friend kinda way ... I mean we NEED one another!

The fact of the matter is the human population requires we find a mate and procreate. Unfortunately, unlike so many other mammals, our brains desire a bonding, not just the love 'em leave 'em attitudes of other animals.

But finding that special someone is difficult at best, impossible at worst. We see evidence of the hoops people are willing to jump through every day with the invention of internet matchmaking, speed dating and dating in the dark. And once we seem to have found someone, it's hard to trust them with our hearts.

It really is a gamble when we put ourselves out there and give someone our hearts. But the reward is oh, so sweet!

And that's why I write romance. The chance (even in fiction) to help two lovers find one another. DIVINE DECEPTION is an erotic romance novella available from Ellora's Cave. It's the story of two people who are hiding secrets from one another. It takes place in the vineyards of the Hudson Valley.

Check out the book trailer ...



And an Excerpt...
Having Nick present while she visited with Joseph wasn’t really in her plans. Frankie had tried to talk Nick into taking the motorcycle to the hospital later in the morning, but Margaret had come running down the granite steps swinging a picnic basket as Frankie was climbing into the truck. She handed it to Nick with two quick kisses on his cheeks and stood watching as he climbed into the passenger side of the cab and they pulled from the driveway.

Now they were headed into town, the midmorning sun hanging in an azure sky, its rays dancing on Seneca Lake. Normally Frankie would have loved a day like this but the cab seemed claustrophobic with Nick Gradin’s surly attitude sitting between them.

“It’s not my fault you didn’t know who I was,” she said quietly.

Turning to her, he cocked a skeptical eyebrow and crossed his arms over his chest.

“You knew your father had a stepdaughter.”

“And a child bride,” Nick remarked coldly. “I expected my stepsister to have pigtails and braces. Not…” His hand motioned up and down her torso.

“Well, you didn’t seem to mind the package yesterday.”

“Yesterday I thought you were Joseph’s assistant.”

“Funny, yesterday I thought you were a womanizing pig of a manwhore.” She shot him a patronizing smile. “Guess one of us was right.”

He frowned. “If you’ll recall, I wasn’t the one who came on to you in the field.”

“As I recall, it was you who was ready for action in the wine cellar.”

“I was simply reading the signals you were sending out.”

“Then you have a faulty GPS.”

“My wiring is just fine thank you.”

“I suppose you think it is, with all the woman you have tumbling into your posh Philadelphia bed.”

“Now what the hell is that supposed to mean?”

“Oh, as if you don’t know.”

“I have no idea what you’re…oh, this is stupid. Pull over here.” Nick motioned to a dirt road that led to a small alcove near the lake.

She’d been parking there once in high school.

“I’m not going to see Joseph until we clear this up and we can at least be civil to each other,” he said.

Frankie acquiesced. He was right. It wouldn’t do Joseph any good to have them bickering in front of him. She turned the truck into the trees, their pumpkin and gold leaves floating passively on the gentle breeze. They bumped down the dirt tracks, the center lane overgrown with the dried weeds of summer. Frankie felt as if she was entering the lion’s mouth. Anger surrounded Nick like the cloud of dust trailing behind them. She had no idea why he was so pissed when she’d only spoken the truth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So, have you found that special someone or are you still looking?

8 comments:

Kasey said...

Looks good. I’ll be reviewing your info!
Mharris299@gmail.com

Unknown said...

I guess I have found that special some one I have been married for 26 years

lead[at]hotsheet[dot]com

Nina Pierce said...

Kasey - Thanks for checking it out.

Nina Pierce said...

Virginia - Congratulations! Not many people can claim that. Sounds like you'll be having a wonderful valentine's day with someone special. ;)

LuAnn said...

It really is difficult to find that certain someone. I have several friends who are into the online dating sites because they don't know how else to meet people. They aren't into the bar scene, for one thing, which isn't usually the best place to meet people anyway!

reading_frenzy at yahoo dot com

Sherry Gloag said...

That's a great excerpt. By the end of this weekend my wish list is going to run off the planet :-)

Nina Pierce said...

LuAnn - I met Mr. Nina through his sister (who is one of my bff's!). It's a great way to meet people. I would hate to have to find someone in this age of computer dating.

Nina Pierce said...

Sherry - LOL! I'm afraid the same is going to be true of my book buying list! Thanks for stopping over!