Sunday, February 13, 2011

Pants or No Pants...

WHAT? Oh dear! Can somebody please tell me where that came from? Pants or no pants indeed! Well, I suppose we should continue on and find out if this post has anything to do with pants. I thought it was going to be about inspiration since I was recently asked where I get the inspiration for my characters; whether I use people I know, or create characters I might want to be… The truth is, my characters seem to find me! Sometimes I will see aspects of people I know in them but the characters are definitely their own individuals. A scene might flash into my head or I may hear someone say something, have a person walk by and the way they are swinging their arm… Whatever it is, it will stick in my head and, before I know it, there’s a story forming.

Arms of an Angel” began with the first sentence just popping into my head. That sentence is “Claire wasn’t exactly the type of girl a guy would normally choose to take home to meet Mamma.” I visualized this woman sitting in the passenger seat of the guy’s car, but that’s all I got until later in the day when the dots began to connect. Now, I am what they call a pantser – I write by the seat of my pants. (ah! There it is...the pants!!!) I don’t use an outline and I don’t always know where the story is going. The characters tell me their story, though I often know the ending well before I get there. Sometimes, as in the case of “Arms of an Angel”, I have to put aside what I am working on and go ahead and write at least part of the story that is knocking to be let out. These characters can be so demanding that sometimes it's hard to tell who is wearing the pant!

5 comments:

Ellz said...

If flying by the seat of your pants works, that's great. It seems like an outline could stifle the writing process.

Cynthia Schuerr said...

I have tried to write outlines for my WIP's and stories, thinking it would keep me organized. And also, because I hear so many writers say how well it works for them. But, uh-uh, it just doesn't work for me. I am a panster, too.

What a great picture, BTW!

Mz.Wiggins said...

Your stories are so full of life and humor. I think letting your characters have free reign to inspire you is working!! Just FYI...I'm voting on "No Pants" when it comes to a vote!! :)

lisagkendall said...

Wow, wish I had talent and imagination and the ability to use either format.
lisagk@yahoo.com

LINDA'S BOOK GARDEN said...

For as long as I can remember, I have been a daydreamer. I think that was the true beginning of my writing career. I have always let my imagination go (Ms. Wiggins - something you will have to do with our gracious photo model!) which is very similar to the way I write. I have friends that do it both ways and I always recommend that people do what is most comfortable, not what they think is right.