Sunday, October 30, 2011

Warm up for Halloween with. . .


From Behind the Mask

Gracelyn came in the door. She danced across the wide foyer in her ballerina costume and dropped her purse on the table. It was well past midnight, but she felt vibrant and wonderful. Humming to herself, she wandered toward the sitting room, only to sense being watched. Stopping, she turned to the long staircase. Near the top stood her sister, Faith, her face scrunched up and eyes accusing. Gracelyn smiled. “I just had the dreamiest time . . .”

“With Grady! You were with Grady! How could you?”

Puzzled, Gracelyn leaned against the railing and looked up the stairs toward her. “Yes. How could I what?” She watched her sister stomp down several stairs and then saw the tears on her cheeks. “Faith, what is it?”

“You know how much I’ve wanted to be with him. I spend days at a time trying to find ways . . .”

She raised her eyebrows and held a hand to her throat. “I had no idea. I swear.”

“You liar!” She smacked a hand on the railing. “I am so tired of perfect little you! Every man falls over his feet to impress you while I have to work to get one to speak to me!”

Gracelyn put her hands on her hips, seriously not happy that her sister dramatics were once again at the forefront and ploughing all over her happy thoughts. “I’m sure you’re exaggerating. Just last week I sat and watched you talk to . . .”

“Tom? Of course he talked to me. He’s more hideous than I am . . .”

“You are not hideous, Faith. You’re sweet and . . .”

“Invisible whenever you’re around!”

She watched her sister stomp down a few more stairs and lean forward, her face hovering over hers. “Faith . . .”

“I’m putting a stop to it now. No more beautiful and precious Gracie.”

Frowning, Gracelyn backed up a few feet and scowled at her. “You’ll behave! We do not use magic on whims or out of spite.” She pointed to the kitchen. “Now drag your butt in there, we’ll have some tea and discuss . . .” She paused and looked at her sister mouth moving, her eyes were suddenly looking untamed. “Faith? What are you doing?”

Faith threw her head back and laughed. “From now on, the only time you’ll see beautiful Gracie is on Samhain from midnight start to midnight finish. The rest of the year, you’ll be a blur!” She trotted down the rest of the stairs and stopped a foot from her. “And from now on, no one is going to be at your beck and call. No one will remember you.” She laughed in an eerie way. “To break it, you’ll need to find the one that can truly see you and kiss him on sacred Hallows Eve, just before midnight.” Laughing loudly and venomously, she waltzed to the door and left, slamming it behind her.

Gracelyn stood there, for how long she had no idea. Finally shaking her head, she turned to go to the kitchen and fell to the floor at the bottom of the stairs.

Find out what happens to Gracelyn and the curse her own sister cast on her in Behind the Mask

The first story in 


















Two tales of Curses...

I will be giving away a copy of CURSES today to one lucky commenter from all my posts on GFP and LASR (so leave me an email addy!) :)

Jacqueline Paige
http://jacqpaige.blogspot.com/

6 comments:

JeanMP said...

Oooo that was a exciting excerpt. Love to find out what happens with the curse and Gracelyn.

skpetal AT hotmail DOT com

Debby said...

Very exciting. Way to wake me up.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Jacqueline Paige said...

Glad you enjoyed it, Jean and Debby!

Happy Halloween!!

Na said...

I am intrigued. I want to know the exact curse her sister put on Gracelyn. I have a feeling it has to do with her looks but I'm not sure...wonderful excerpt.

Jacqueline Paige said...

Thank you, Na. I can't tell the whole story, that would ruin it. lol

Good luck with the draw!!

Jacqueline Paige said...

Random Org just picked the winner of a pdf copy of CURSES ....

Na, it's you!!!

email me with your addy and I'll get that sent to you.
jacq DOT paige AT gmail DOT com