Saturday, October 29, 2011

Halloween Tales to Chill You to the Bone!

One of my favorite things about Halloween are the stories. There's nothing like a great story to send a chill up your spine! Here's a sitethat has plenty of free reads, for those who dare. Mwahahaha! And the American Folklore site has free stories and podcasts archived from years back. For the little ones, read a classic Halloween tale  and ignite their imagination. And maybe share your bed with them for a night. :)


What about you? Do you have a favorite Halloween story?

Though these days, most ghost stories portray spirits as malevolent, the holiday of long ago was a celebration of passed loved ones. People set places at their dinner tables to include the spirit, and lit candles to help the spirit find its way back to the spirit world.

Halloween is a magical time. Ordinary boundaries disappear, and time has no bearing. Whether you believe the mystical aspect of Halloween or don't, I hope you enjoy it!
 
Here's an extra treat for you - an anthology of paranormal romance stories by Jay Di Meo, Barbara Elsborg, DL Jackson, Arlene Webb and myself, free on Smashwords.

Multipublished, award-winning author Cate Masters loves stories with a dash of magic, mayhem and romance! Reviewers have described her stories as “so compelling, I did not want to put it down,” and “such romantic tales that really touch your soul.”
When not spending time with her family, she can be found in her lair, concocting a magical brew of contemporary, historical, and fantasy/paranormal stories with her cat Chairman Maiow and dog Lily as company. Look for her at http://catemasters.blogspot.com, and in strange nooks and far-flung corners of the web.
Cate loves to hear from readers. Email her at: cate.masters[AT]gmail.com
 

5 comments:

JeanMP said...

Probably my favorite is the Legend of Sleepy Hollow.

skpetal AT hotmail DOT com

Na said...

For me it's the stories as well. I like those based on true events, such as The Bell Witch and The Amityville House.

mnjcarter said...

Mine is not so much a written story, but I used to love when we sat around the campfire and were told the story of the "bloody hand", where the man is searching for his severed hand in the woods, never got tired of this story and still jumped at the end of it.

mnjcarter@charter.net

Anonymous said...

I loved going to haunted houses and yards during Halloween and trick or treating when I was a kid. And I always loved the jack o lanterns. Still do!

rina.carnation@gmail.com

Cate Masters said...

Love Sleepy Hollow, Jean - especially the Johnny Depp version. :)

The true stories scare me too much Na. I stick with fiction, lol

My sister-in-law was deathly afraid of the hairy hand, mnj! Creepy stuff.

I love jack o'lanterns too Rina. They have great legends of their own.