Friday, October 7, 2011

Some Things You May Not Know About Me...

The first thing you need to know about me is that my bra strap is showing in every single picture anyone has ever taken of me. I'm not even kidding. I could show you a photo album...

The second thing you need to know is you don’t ever want to challenge me to a game of truth or dare. I was born without the ability to say no to the dare part. So I’ve pretty much jumped off every bridge someone told me to, and a few no one even mentioned.

My worst problem is that I in effect dare myself to do things constantly. I’ll say on Twitter or my blog that I’ll never write a ménage, and next thing I know I’m attempting a three-way. (On paper, not in person. Wait! Wait…now that I said I wouldn’t I’m gonna feel like a hafta do it! Drat!)

This is exactly how I ended up writing about zombies. I said to Mark Henry on Twitter, “Oh, I don’t think I could ever write zombies.” So of course, I was writing from the zombie point of view a month later. It seems Twitter is the path to the worst of my self-dares. If I say something in a public forum, I feel even more compelled to do it. This works out great for meeting my daily writing goals, less so when I threaten to write a disco-zombie romance called “Stayin’ Alive.”

However, I am glad I challenged myself with the zombie point of view, otherwise I would never have started my Love-Bots series. While the characters in the series aren’t zombies precisely (they’re “steins,” as in run by technology,) they struggle with issues of mind control and free will. To me, that’s the central conflict of all heroes. And my steins get to fight, process, and defeat their inner programming and inner demons.

So what’s next for me, you might ask? If I’ve already made Love-Bots into sex symbols what challenge could I rise to next? Well, I’m trying to tone down my dares a bit, to shape them into bite-sized morsels that will take my writing in directions I want to go, rather than just the direction that seems wildest at the time.

My next Love-Bot book is going to be male-male. And though I’ve written male-male before, I’ve never done so without the safety net of multiple subplots and wacky plot-shifts. Built4It is quieter and more internal than my other male-male works. It’s a subtle challenge.

I’m also working on a gay merman story. Because yeah, I’m still that same girl. And it’s in first person. Why? Well, I figure if I’m not challenging myself, I’m not growing as a writer. So in the end, I’m glad I can’t say no to a dare. Those wild-and-crazy ideas might lead to a lot of false starts and unworkable story ideas. But they also take my writing to new heights!

How about you? Do you like to try challenges, no matter how absurd? Or do you like to stick to the straight and narrow?

4 comments:

Maria D. said...

Lol at the bra strap problem in pictures..I often find myself in the same situation and having to re-pose....I'm not a very daring person so I usually stick to the straight and narrow path to an extent personally...though I do like to widen my horizons so to speak via books...lol

junegirl63(at)gmail(dot)com

Na said...

I read a lot of paranormals but I haven't encountered a merman story yet. That sounds very cool. The only mermaid I have read and watches is Little Ariel. I would like to see these creatures in more stories :)

Cambonified (at) yahoo (dot) com

Anonymous said...

Maria—The bra strap thing kills me because my mother (when I see her) is ALWAYS trying to adjust my shirt so it doesn't show. It's so funny!

Na—I love writing about the ocean. I actually have a three book "Ocean Shifters" series from Siren-Bookstrand. The first book, "Mere Temptation" was a re-imanging of the Little Mermaid! (Okay, an extremely loose reimagining. But still! LOL)

June M. said...

I have the opposite problem with bras, I can't get my straps to stay on my shoulder, unless I tighten them so much they dig into my shoulder.
I am not a very daring person. I am very shy and introverted generally. I think I really need to start forcing myself to step out of my comfort area.
June M.
manning_j2004 at yahoo dot com