Sunday, October 30, 2011

Forever Cinderella

When I was a little girl, every year I wanted to be Cinderella for Halloween. I mean the Cinderella who meets Prince Charming at the ball, of course -- the one with the crystal slipper and the pumpkin coach, not the scrub maid who's pushed around by her nasty step-mother and step-sisters. (I don't think it's a coincidence that the movie version with Leslie Ann Warren was one of my favorites either.) My mother wasn't much for buying those out-of-the-box costumes, though. We usually rummaged through closets to find costumes, so I don't think I actually ever made it as Cinderella. I do remember being a ghost more than once, and one year my sister and I dressed up in our mother's Asian-inspired pajamas. That was fun, but it was no Cinderella.  I contented myself with the promise that some day, when I had daughters, I'd make sure they got to dress up as Cinderella, as many times as they wanted.

Unfortunately, I had boys. They never quite took to the whole idea. :-) Somehow I got over it.


What are your favorite costumes?

6 comments:

Tabitha Rayne said...

Oh, but you can make pumpkin lantern Cinderella carriages with them! Lovely post x

Na said...

I imagine there will be a lot of Disney Princesses running around this year, especially Cinderella. Who knows, your boys can still be price charmings :)

I like witches costumes and princesses. Not for me though as I never really dressed up.

Larion aka Larriane Wills said...

I had one of each so through the years, we pretty much covered them all.

Leah St. James said...

Pumpkin coaches...what a great idea! And Prince Charming too. :-) I think I'll have to wait for grandchildren at this point. :-)

Debby said...

I had girls and wanted boys.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Leah St. James said...

That's funny, Debby! It's like having curly hair but wishing it was straight and vice versa.