Saturday, October 29, 2011

Holy Crap - It Felt Real!

For my second post, I thought I'd talk about one of the scariest books I've ever read. I know we love to read. If we didn't, we might not be on a book/review/promo blog like this. So.

What book had me literally turning pages, shaking in my boots and NEEDING to know what would happen next?

Bag of Bones by Stephen King.

Before I get into the whys, this is one thing I have to state. This isn't a review. It's my opinion, yes, but I'm not trying to get you to buy the book. Heck, I'm not even trying to get you to like the book. Look on the purchase sites. It's been loved and hated. But I digress.

So why did this book scare me? The realism. For me the book was a page turner. Things happened and I didn't totally know why, but as the pieces fell into place it made sense. I don't want to give away too much of the plot, but it's not all as it seems. There's things that seem innocuous, but then you see how they are integral.

But the real deal? The characters stayed with me. Honest. I don't mean like I thought oh gee, what if this happened. That's great and all but this was different. I dreamt about them. I had this dream, I swear I was in the book, trying to help the little girl and save the day. Let me tell you, I woke up gasping for breath and hoping like heck I was actually home, in my own bed and had never been to the dirt road with the trailer.

Have you ever had a book that just grabbed you by the shoulders and wouldn't let go? I'd like to hope it was mine, but hey, can't have everything. So what was it? What was the thing about the book that stuck with you? I'm always looking for the next good read and if it's a little scary (or a lot), that's great, too.


About Megan: When she's not writing the stories in her head, Megan Slayer can be found luxuriating in her hot tub with her two vampire Cabana boys, Luke and Jeremy. She has the tendency to run a tad too far with her muse, so she has to hide in the head of her alter ego, but the boys don't seem to mind.
When she's not obsessing over her whip collection, she can be found picking up her kidlet from school.

She enjoys writing in all genres, but writing about men in love suits her fancy best.

Currently hanging out every Wednesday and Friday at the Menagerie Authors site, hunting Hotties for the Saturday posts, and working on the next great story brewing in her head!

http://www.wendizwaduk.com/indexMegan.htm
http://theauthormeganslayer.blogspot.com/
http://menagerieauthors.blogspot.com/
http://www.menagerieauthors.com/home.htm

2 comments:

Na said...

I haven't read Bag of Bones but seeing it's by Stephen King -no wonder! I find horror books much scarier than movies because the images stay in your mind and covering your eyes won't work.

Wendi Zwaduk and Megan Slayer said...

Yeah the images in your head keep playing. Thanks for stopping by!