Sunday, October 2, 2011

My Writing Influences by Stephanie Burkhart

VC Andrews, Flowers In The Attic

Aside from writing, I'm also an avid reader. I've been reading since I was a little girl and some of my early reading included: Judy Blume, The Hardy Boys, and anything about dinosaurs and space.

As a teenager in the 1980's, I discovered several writers: Anne Rice, Victoria Holt, and VC Andrews. Rice can tell a stirring story with the paranormal creatures I grew up watching in the 1970's. My favorite Rice novels are: "The Witching Hour" and "Interview with the Vampire."

When it came to VC Andrews, I was enthralled by the gothic creepiness of the Dollanganger Series. Victoria Holt, though, sold me on the power of love and romance. I also adore her writings as Jean Plaidy and her novels about the Kings and Queens of England. She brought those stories to life by showing the humanity of the characters – both the good and bad choices.

After getting out of the Army in 1997, I gravitated toward reading romances because I liked the hopeful message that love brings. Some of my favorite romance writers are: Jillian Hunter, Judith McNaught, and Lisa Kleypas. Each of these writers captures a unique voice that appeals to me as a reader. They also write historical romance and I love the idea of escaping to another time and place.

Who are some of your favorite writers? Leave a comment with your email and I'll pick two people to receive a copy of my free read, "Moonlight Sonata," the prequel to "The Count's Lair."

EXCERPT FROM MOONLIGHT SONATA:


The door opened and Anton walked in exuding a dark, animal-like grace. His hair was wind-blown and his usually starched shirt was wrinkled, as if he'd slept in it. He had on calf-high boots with his pants tucked into them, but they were dull, as if he hadn't polished them in a day or two.

He simply didn't look like himself. Her eyes sought out his. The gold ring around his deep blue sapphire irises burned with desire. His lips curved into a cocky smile.

"Hello, Amelia."

She bit the inside of her lip. The rich scent of mulberries and spice hung around him, fueling a growing agitation in the pit of her stomach. He looked like a magnificent beast – ready to tempt her to sin. "Hello, Anton."

"I'm sorry I didn't call, but I wanted to see you."

She stood rooted in the spot next to the coffee table. Anton walked toward her slowly, his feral gait even, his expression full of confidence. He passed in back of her, pausing. She felt the heat of his breath on her neck. She didn't know what to say. She'd enjoyed his friendship and she had wanted to call him later this evening, but he seemed bolder, determined. He had the look of a man who knew what he wanted. Her hand went to her breast, trying to stop the nervous fluttering of her heart.

"I was looking forward to seeing you as well," she finally said.

He rounded the coffee table and stopped in back of the couch, putting his hands on the couch's backrest and looking directly at her.

Amelia swallowed. The look in his eyes was unmistakable. They danced with the flames of desire. For her?

"I've been giving what you said a lot of thought—" he began.

"What did I say?"

"You challenged me to be a better man."

"I did."

"Well, that's what I want to do."

FIND ME ON THE WEB AT:
WEBSITE:
http://www.stephanieburkhart.com

TWITTER:
http://twitter.com/StephBurkhart

FACEBOOK:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stephanie-Burkhart-Author/149938795021166

GOOD READS:
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4031660.Stephanie_Burkhart

6 comments:

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Just wanted to say hi, Stephanie.

We read the same authors growing up. lol I still have VC Andrews books I ordered from the Doubleday club sitting on my book shelf.

The Witching Hour by Ann Rice was one of my favorites. I like Dean Koontz's tales, too.

I've also like some of the YA authors. Cassandra Clare and the Mortal Instruments Series and Holy Black with her Curse Workers series are my favorites.

I wish you the best with your writing. I've enjoyed all your tales--vampires and steampunk--I can't wait for the next of your books to be available. :)

Stephanie Burkhart said...

Karen,
Oh my, yes, I still have my originals of the Dollganger series on my shelf! How wild is that? hehe.

I'll have to check out the YA author you've mentioned. :)

I've enjoyed your story in the Western Saga Trailblazer and I'm looking forward to reading more of your stuff. My next book to be released will be Danube in Candlelight, Book 3 in the Budapest Moon series on 1 NOV.

Smiles
Steph

Maria D. said...

I remember VC Andrews series quite fondly..lol...had to sneak it in the house to read it. About the same time I also fell in love with Colleen McCullough's The Thorn Birds and with MM Kaye's The Far Pavillions ....all different styles of romance but I loved them all

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Congratulations on the upcoming release! :)

June M. said...

I spent my teen years reading VC Andrews books! I think I read everything she wrote up until I graduated high school in '93.
manning_j2004 at yahoo dot com

Stephanie Burkhart said...

I've read VC's other stories after she died, but none capture the gothic trappings like her original series.

Congrats to Maria and June who won copies of my free read, "Moonlight Sonata."

Smiles
Steph