Thursday, December 15, 2011

A Delicious Christmas Mix

I love mixtures. Food, clothes, people, reading or writing - it really doesn't matter. I'm often surprised, pleasantly, at the outcome.

Take this recipe, for example. It goes by many names: White Trash, Reindeer Hash, Yuletide Mix, call it what you will. It's a delicious blend of salty and sweet and the great part about this is that you can customize it to your own taste! 

Ingredients: 

3 cups each Corn, Wheat and Rice Chex and Cherrios
1 1/2 cans Mixed Nuts
2 Packages Almond Bark
3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
(note: customize the salty ingredients as you please. I've seen this with M&M's and pretzels, for example)

1. Cover the dining room table with wax paper (this stuff makes a lot!)
2. Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3. In a microwave safe bowl, break up the almond bark and add the oil. Microwave 3 minutes and stir. If not completely smooth, return to the microwave for 30 second intervals until mix is smooth.
4. Stir melted almond bark mix with the dry ingredients
5. Spread thinly onto wax paper
6. Let harden then break into pieces and serve or bag and hand out. (or, if you're like me, you'll stash some away to selfishly keep all to yourself. Trust me, this stuff goes fast!) Enjoy!

Another mixture that peaks my interest involves ropes, icicles, a shiny new bell and a touch of magic. If you want to see how this particular mix results, hop on over to Changeling Press and grab my new White Hot Christmas release: Emmy's Wish. Here's a little snippet ~ not posted anywhere else!

Excerpt: 




"Now what?" she asked.
"I like the beams up there. Looks sturdy," he commented. "You have the same thing in your bedroom?"
Puzzled, she glanced up and realized he must be talking about the large beams running above their heads. "All through the house," she answered. "Why?"
"It should be able to hold you."
"What do you mean?"
Trey set her off him and leaned over to rummage through a huge bag she'd only now noticed. "You want to play, right?"
"Yes, but, what's that?" she asked, indicating his strange looking bag.
"This is one of my work bags. When Uncle told me a girl wanted to play, I brought along several items." He looked over his shoulder at her. "Little did I know my girl would want to play different versions of the games I'd first imagined."
He found what he was looking for and stood up. A thin length of rope clasped in one hand, he reached out for her with the other. Curious, Emmy set her slender fingers against the width of his palm. When she quirked an eyebrow toward the rope, he explained, "I do a lot of mountain climbing and thought my 'play date' might want to climb up some of the small hills nearby."
"Oh," was all she could think to say.
"Don't worry. We're not climbing any hills today."
"Good. Not that I'd mind," she added quickly, not wanting to offend him, "but what's the rope for now?"
He winked at her. "You'll see. Where's the bedroom?"
Curiosity, as always, getting the better of her, Emmy smiled and tilted her head. "Back that way."
He returned her smile. "Lead on."
Emmy restrained herself from skipping as she led Trey to her bedroom.
"Smells like the outside," he commented.
"I know. Don't you love it?" Craving an outdoor scent, Emmy had strung evergreen boughs throughout her room.
"Since where I work I'm not often around trees, yes. I do like it."
She turned and saw his eyes pointed up to her rafters again. "What are you planning?"
He grinned without looking down. "You'll see." He unwound the rope, and she raised her brow at the three-pronged hook dangled from one end. Spreading his stance, and with little effort, Trey swung the hook up and over a rafter. The hook swung around the rafter three times before stopping and digging into the beam. He tugged to secure it. It didn't escape her notice that he'd placed the rope to drop dead center over her bed.


Grab EMMY'S WISH while it's Hot and you'll also be entered to win Free Books for a Year!!

Hope you like my mixtures ~ have you one to share? 

Ayla Ruse
Visit me at my blog or on Facebook!

3 comments:

mnjcarter said...

This sounds kind of like chex mix, but much sweeter. My children love anything with almond bark, I'll have to give it a try. The only problem making ANYTHING out of cereal is this house is that the kids keep trying to convince me if it has cereal in it, it must be a breakfast food.( They keep trying, and I keep denying)!!


Looks like Emmy is going to learn all about bondage, should be fun! Makes me want to get this book that much more!

mnjcarter@charter.net

Wendi Zwaduk and Megan Slayer said...

The book looks great and so does the mix! Can't wait to try it!

Ayla Ruse said...

Thanks mnjcarter and Wendi. Trust me, this mix is absolutely addictive!