Sunday, November 6, 2011

Dancing and ballroom love


I love dancing, I love those ballroom scenes in which the characters see each other from across the dance floor, and cupid throws his arrow and strikes. *sigh* One of my favorite dance scenes is the one that takes place in the movie “Labyrinth”. You know, that one with David Bowie as the Goblin King and Jennifer Connelly as Sarah, the young girl that is going to save her brother? It is not technically a love scene but there’s a little charming something going on there that I’ve always loved. And, the music is beautiful (As The World fall down sung by Bowie himself). (If you want to check it out here’s a video on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VppuD1St8Ec)

I think I like dancing so much because the movement of the body conveys different messages. It can be seductive, erratic, calm, sexy, hot, full of rage, full of love…so many things all piled up into one human body. Dancing is a way of release, a way to show all those emotions. Add to that the environment where it takes place…those ballrooms, discotheques, dance floors… rooms full of people where finding someone is so hard…and yet, somehow it happens. Alexander and Angelica reencounter for the first time in a ball. Here is a short excerpt from that moment.

Her lips quivered for a moment before settling into a stunning smile.

He raised his eyes from her full lips. With a sigh, he turned around, concealing himself behind the large Greek-inspired column. How he longed to go to her and sweep her into his arms.

A waiter passed by and offered him a drink. Accepting with a nod, he took the opportunity to turn around and look at her again. Her hair hung loose below her shoulders in soft brown curls, highlighted with golden tresses. Her lips curved into a smile of greeting as she waved at a friend. She stood tall, regal even, as she made her way across the room saluting acquaintances. However, even as she went about her duties, her eyes constantly scanned the room as if searching for something––or someone.

He knew what she was seeking.

"A Decade of Longing" is available at:
Remember that if you leave a comment on any of my blog posts today (with your email address) you'll be entered to win a copy of the novel!


Elyzabeth M. VaLey

5 comments:

Lorraine said...

I've always loved to dance and wanted to learn ballroom dancing, but somehow never had the time.
lornel@xplornet.ca

desitheblonde said...

me i can not dance any more but it would be great to see them do it again i love how they can ge t in to the dance

Adonis Devereux said...

I love dancing, but I haven't been for a couple of years now. I agree that there is something unique about dancing that other activities do not possess or convey.

Debby said...

Ballroom dancing is something my hubby and I are going to explore.
debby236 at gmail dot com

June M. said...

I have always wanted to be able to dance. Unfortunately, I am NOT coordinated enough. LOL
manning_j2004 at yahoo dot com