Sunday, January 6, 2013

How Alice Might Have Felt

Alice in Wonderland wasn't a book I much got into but the premise, well - it's unforgettable.  Kind of like many of my trips but especially the one to Borneo.  Getting off that small speedboat that took me away from the village and deeper into the heart of the Borneo jungle, well it was like nothing I had ever known.  Surrounded by lush jungle, with insects screeching, loud enough that they could drown out conversation, with the river roaring in a dangerous rush behind me, there was only one place to go but up.  Up a cliff with a rickety, time-worn set of steps that led to an Iban longhouse.  And there I was met by the curious and somewhat disdainful looks of a small group of sun-wrinkled women sitting by reed maps where rice had been left out to dry.

And ahead of me was a skull hanging from the rafters and moving slightly in a non-existent breeze.  The guide was quick to point out that it was the skull of the last human hunted well over a hundred years ago.  And that look in his eye, well it made me suspect that it could be true or it could be a story for the tourists.  Either way it was a story.

And from that trip came another story:

January 15, 2013




Where's the strangest place you've been?

Ryshia Kennie
www.ryshiakennie.com

2 comments:

Debby said...

I would have to say caves. I have been in some strange caves.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Ryshia Kennie said...

I agree with you caves can be strange and incredibly awesome too. I have to travel to find any caves - what about you?