Sunday, January 6, 2013

Excerpt: Seducing Avery



Excerpt:
Avery figured one word from Ryker was all it usually took to get heads nodding and feet scrambling. And yet, there she stood, watching him as though he were about to make off with her family’s silver.

His lips curled into that arrogant but devastating trademark smile. “Let me know when you’re ready to play anything besides this cat and mouse game. You can start by telling me who you really are.”

“My family name? Well that's none of your business. Or anyone else’s for that matter.” She heard her own voice rise and quiver toward the end of her sentence defensively. She took a lot of pride in her accomplishments, especially because she hadn't used her family name to get them. She’d worked for them. Hard. And no one had the right to dig into her past or question her history.

“Covering tracks are you?” he asked. “The hallmark of a good thief.”

She froze as his gaze landed hard on hers. He was trying to rattle her. Fine. She’d be damned if she’d bite.

Instead, she leaned back and folded her arms. “You had me investigated. Why don’t you tell me who I am?”

Cold, calculating anger scored his brown eyes. “As a general rule I like to know who I’m doing business with beforehand. The only reason for the investigation.” Ryker’s gaze narrowed to slits. “What I’d like to know is why you’re so determined to refuse my job.”





I'd love to connect: Website, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest. My newsletter has prizes and cool things just for subscribers.




2 comments:

Debby said...

INtriguing excerpt. Why does she want to turn him down?>
debby236 at gmail dot com

Brenda Gayle said...

Ok. This has me interested.