Sunday, September 8, 2013

The Darker Side of the Regency




Spies, lies, traitors and a passionate, self-controlled hero who will do anything to win the woman who’s become his ‘reluctant bride’…

I’ve been on a roller-coaster book blast tour the past few days to promote The Reluctant Bride and it’s been fascinating to read the reviews along the way. Writing a slowly developing work means it’s hard for me to see what a reader will pick out as characterizing the book.

‘This book has a slow boil,’ says Jen of The Crafty Cauldron. ‘It starts as a romance story and ends in a fantastic mystery/action storyline. I was blown away at how much I liked this book. I really thought I wouldn’t. The author has a way of snaring you before you even realize. This is a great read. Definitely for the historical romance buff like myself.

 The Reluctant Bride has had a long and convoluted history.  It was a simple 'marriage of convenience' story when it won the Romance Writers of New Zealand competition six years ago.  I then went on to publish three Regencies with Robert Hale, all the while researching the French Revolution and 'layering' The Reluctant Bride with a back story set during the September Massacres of 1792. 

The pivotal, life-changing events for my hero, Angus, however, occur during the retreat to Corunna in 1809, though the actual book picks up four years later when Angus calls on the woman he's loved from afar to tell her that her fiancĂ© has just been killed in battle.  The lie he tells her, in order to spare her pain, comes back to haunt him after he's made her his 'reluctant bride.'

The Reluctant Bride won Choc Lit's ‘Search for an Australian Star’ competition late last year.

And now it's out on Kindle ($2.99) with only 7 days before the official paperback release. Then I'll be cracking open the champers!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beverley,
Good morning! I'm and fellow author here on the Party Pavilion and looking forward to hanging out with you today. I've posted The Reluctant Bride to FB and Twitter. :)