Sunday, September 8, 2013

Fire on Ice Excerpt (Contains Adult Language)



FIRE ON ICE EXCERPT
Dakota Madison

I thought you might enjoy an excerpt from my contemporary romance novel, FIRE ON ICE (PART ONE of the FIRE ON ICE SERIES). Here’s a brief synopsis of the story:

He's Fire on Ice and she's afraid to get burned again...

"You always think a guy is going to be different until he's not."

Firestorm Center Kian Kavanagh dominates the ice like a rock star dominates the stage. He's the hottest new player to be recruited for the Firestorm, a newly established professional hockey team in Northern Arizona.

After Taylor Thompson's heart was completely shattered by her high school's most popular jock, she vowed never to date another athlete. And she keeps that promise through her first three years of college by putting up impenetrable walls to protect her from heartbreak.

But after a chance meeting with the charming and irresistible Kian Kavanagh, Taylor's carefully constructed walls are in serious danger of being burned down by Mr. Fire on Ice.

And now for the excerpt:

As I glanced around the bar at the sea of perfect young faces, I spotted a girl sitting by herself at a small table in the corner. She was looking in my direction but when our eyes met, she quickly looked down and started reading a book.
What the hell?
Who reads a book in a bar, I wondered. I was completely intrigued.
The first thing I noticed about her was her beautiful wavy brown hair. The long waves were tucked behind her ears, which were decorated with a single pink pearl in each center. She was wearing a flowered blouse tied over a black tank top and a long black skirt. It was such an odd outfit to be wearing at a bar. She looked like she was ready for a stroll through a museum or art gallery. Most girls at bars tried to show as much skin and body parts as humanly possible. They left little to the imagination. But this girl had her arms and legs completely covered.
I could tell she was different and I wanted to know why.
I tipped back the rest of my beer, put the empty glass on the bar and made my way over to the girl. I just couldn’t get over the fact she was reading a book in a bar. It was such a strange sight. As I got closer, I noticed the book was a lot thicker than I initially thought. A textbook? Who studies at a bar?
She didn’t even have a drink in front of her. She was just intent on reading her book.
I stood next to her table and cleared my throat to get her attention. When she glanced up at me, her expression was neutral.
“Hey,” I said and gave her a quick smile.
She just stared at me. I have to admit, it kind of freaked me out. I was used to girls doing most of the work. Usually all I had to do was decide if I wanted to take them home or not.
Her hazelnut brown eyes were completely captivating. I felt like I saw swimming in the deep end of two delicious pools. I gulped and suddenly couldn’t think of anything to say. The girl made me nervous and I never got nervous. All I could do was stare into her beautiful brown eyes.
“What do you want?” she said finally. The question wasn’t mean; it was like she was really curious why I was standing there.
“I was just wondering what you were reading.” As soon as the words came out of my mouth, I knew I sounded like a complete asshole.
And why was I second guessing myself? That was not me at all. From the time I was fourteen, and started to really show off on the ice, girls dropped their panties for me with little more than a wink and a winning smile on my part.
But this girl was different. When this girl looked at me, it was like she was looking right through me, like she could see into every part of my mind and soul. And that scared the hell out of me because there was a lot of shit going on in there that I never wanted anyone to see.
She tilted the book up so I could see the cover. “It’s The Writings of William James,” she said. “Some people consider him the father of modern psychology.”
I nodded as if it made all the sense in the world but I didn’t have a freakin’ clue what she was talking about.
“Is that all?” she asked. She pointed to her book. “I’m kind of busy.”
“Can I buy you a drink?’” I blurted and immediately regretted it. It sounded stupid after she had just told me she was busy. But there was something about this girl that completely fascinated me and I needed to know more about her.
She shook her head. “I’m not drinking tonight and I don’t accept drinks from strangers anyway.”
“Oh, I’m not like that,” I said. “I would never—” I realized how dumb it sounded. If some sick asshole was going to roofie her drink, he certainly wouldn’t tell her.
“I’m sure you’re not,” she replied. “But I really need to back to this.” She pointed to her book again.
I knew it was my cue to leave. She was completely blowing me off but I just couldn’t go. I was quickly becoming obsessed with this beautiful brown-eyed girl, I barely even knew.

THE PLAYMAKER (PART TWO of the FIRE ON ICE SERIES) will be released later this month.

DAKOTA MADISON BLOG:  http://12novels12months.tumblr.com/
DAKOTA MADISON on FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/DakotaMadisonAuthor


No comments: