Sunday, January 8, 2012

Trashy, Loud, and Proud


Here’s my dirty little secret: I love reading trashy novels.  Don’t judge me
.
Okay, I know that none of you would, but there are those (mostly, people who know that I teach English literature), who look over my shoulder, see the cover of my book, and say, “Oh my God…what are you reading?!”

I’d love to say that I’ve come up with several snappy comebacks, but mostly when I’m called out, I blush and make an excuse like, “It’s not as bad as you might think,” or “I left my copy of War and Peace at my mother’s house and had nothing else to read,” or “This book really belongs to my brother.”

Why should I care?  Who doesn’t love a story with a sexy hero, a strong heroine, and a thrilling plot?  Even my thirteen-year-old daughter (who is currently reading the YA novel City of Bones) gets it.  She told me, “Mom, the best books are the ones where the covers show pictures of cute boys.  (The Hunger Games notwithstanding.)  I’m sorry, but a girl needs a little adventure from time to time.  A little passion.  A little romance.  Okay, a lot  of romance.

So I’m declaring my right to read what I want when I want.  And that goes double for writing!  I love writing romance.  I love writing about demons and angels and magicians and magic.  I love writing about sexy heroes and delicious thigh-tingling romance.  It’s so much fun!

From now on, I will say it loudly and proudly: I am a lover of trashy  novels!

______________________________________________

The moment Lilith Straight dies, the Devil appears to claim her soul and cash in on a family curse. Now, Lilith has no choice but to work for him. The job is bad, the boss is worse and she can’t imagine how she’ll explain her new reincarnation to her eight-year-old daughter. But then an arrogant, yet oh so yummy, incubus shows up…and hell heats up just a little more. 

- "Devilish and Delicious" - Boekie's Book Reviews

Michelle Scott’s new urban fantasy/chick lit Straight to Hell is available for Kindle, Nook, and all other e-formats.

2 comments:

Debby said...

Love that - trashy, loud and proud. But I hope not rude.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Michelle Scott said...

Snarky definitely. But not rude, lol. I don't like rude heroines or heroes, either. That spoils the story for me.