Sunday, March 2, 2014

After Thirty Years the Lovinggood/Stanton Feud Still Lives

In this excerpt from Blue 52, my hero is at a party with his grandparents and pretty physicist Kathryn Sinclair are at a party to raise money for charity when two men approach them. The older man is Josh Stanton, President Lovinggood's vice president.  First an excerpt, then a blurb.

“I see that Richard’s son has a way with women just like his father before him,” said the older of the two men. He actually smirked when he said it.

Hank felt his face turn a fiery red. Everyone who was watching me kiss Kathryn just remembered that Mother probably shot Dad because he had an affair with his secretary.

And look at his grandfather. The senator’s eyes blazed, but his face had no expression whatsoever. Goose bumps rose on Hank’s arms. Uh oh. That usually means trouble for someone.

“This must be the first time you’ve been invited to one of Millicent’s parties, Josh,” Senator Lovinggood commented. “If you’d been here before, you’d know about her fund-raising stunts.”

It had taken Hank a moment to recognize Josh Stanton. God, what an unpleasant little shit. That comment about his father was uncalled for. “I guess that’s yet another way you’re different from my father,” he observed.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” the second man, Stanton’s son Rob, stridently demanded.

Hank smiled. “Why, I thought it was obvious.”

“Don’t talk about my father that way!”

Hank shrugged. “Then show a little respect for your betters.”

Kathryn gasped, but Senator Lovinggood and Elaine both howled as Stanton’s face turned as red as Rudolph’s nose. “Why, you…”

“What’s the matter, Mr. Vice President? Can’t think of a snappy comeback?” Hank retorted.

“You address my father with respect!” Rob Stanton shouted. Hank flicked spittle from his arm as every head in the room turned their way.

He coolly stuffed the red ribbon in his pocket. “He doesn’t deserve my respect, and he really should learn some manners. This is a party to raise money for charity, not a forum to insult my father.”

“You Lovinggoods!” Josh Stanton’s face was dark with loathing. “You always thought you were better than anyone else. Ha! Look at what happened to Richard. His own wife murdered him.”

Hank laughed. “I doubt it, but either way Dad’s still a hero thirty years after his death. Not too many people call you a hero, do they? If I remember correctly, you finished Dad’s term of office but didn’t win a term on your own, right?”

Blurb:


"First Lady Kills President Lovinggood"
December 29, 2018


Thirty years later Hank Lovinggood embarks on a quest to prove his mother's innocence and punish the killers who took his family from him.  Together Hank and lovely physicist Kathryn Sinclair confront an implacable, twisted, merciless enemy who'll do whatever it takes to hide the truth forever. 

Buy Links:  http://www.amazon.com/Blue-52-Elaine-Cantrell-ebook/dp/B00H1MHC24/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393801678&sr=8-1&keywords=blue+52+by+elaine+cantrell  and at most retail outlets.

Don't forget my contest. Follow my blog at http://www.elainepcantrell.blogspot.com and leave a comment on one of my posts here at the party pavilion to tell me so. I'm giving away a copy of Return Engagement which is the story of the president and his wife.

No comments: