Sunday, July 7, 2013

STAR ATTRACTION - Fourth Excerpt [PG-13]

The entire future of Earth weighed on me, but who was I? Nothing special. I had no super powers nor an arsenal of weapons. I didn’t even have an army at my back. Could I do this? The odds were incredible. Maybe I was just fooling myself.

“We have the element of surprise,” Raul said. He squeezed my arm and kissed the top of my head. “They won’t even consider the possibility of a low-level assault.”

“We’re gonna end up dead,” I forecast morosely. “This is utterly insane.”

“Hey, I thought I was the voice of doubt. What happened to the defiant, overly up-beat Megan Shaw I met yesterday?”

“She woke up to the reality of the situation.”

“So what do you want to do?”

“I don’t have a choice, Raul. It’s either stand up to them or end up host to one of them. Frankly, I’d rather die than that. And you never know, we might actually pull this off.” Raul pulled me onto his knee as I worried whether we really could succeed, but then his hands slid under the hem of my T-shirt.

As distractions went, it was very effective and I stopped worrying.

In fact, he stopped me thinking of anything for quite a while.

Observatory tour guide Megan Shaw has always had stars in her eyes, so when she all but runs down the otherworldly Raul, she barely blinks. It doesn’t hurt that Raul is hot – whether in his human form or his natural one – and that there’s an immediate mutual attraction.

But Raul is on the run from his alien overlords and soon Megan finds herself fighting against a foothold situation with nothing more than a couple of cattle prods and Muse for soundtrack.

However Earth is not the only planet at risk and with his species desperate to escape generations of oppression, will Raul’s loyalties shift as easily as his physical appearance?

No comments: