Sunday, July 7, 2013

STAR ATTRACTION - First Excerpt [PG-13]

I liked driving at night. Maybe it was the quieter roads, or maybe the whole “under cover of dark” thing, but in either case it gave me a sense of freedom like nothing else. I zipped down the country lanes with the top down, the wind in my hair, and Muse’s Uprising drowning out the rumble of my MG’s engine. I’d not been anywhere important nor was I headed to any particular destination; I was just driving because I wanted to. 
It was a cloudless night. A full moon glittered between the branches of the trees that canopied the road. My headlights shone off a road sign. I checked my mirror, signaled left, and spun the steering wheel with my palm as I shifted down a gear, maneuvering the car smoothly around the corner. 
Singing along with Matt, I straightened up and put pedal to the metal. The speedo needle crept up to forty-five before I eased up. 
The limit out here was sixty but with farmland and the possibility of suicidal wildlife bursting from the hedges on either side of the road, I chose not to push it. Last thing I wanted was for my car to be garaged due to an animal-radiator interaction. 
I guess that saved me. It certainly saved him. 
He appeared out of nowhere, directly in front of me, and I jammed my foot on the brake. Tires screeched as my car slewed to a halt. His hands landed on the bonnet. I sat back in my seat and stared through the windscreen. He stared back at me. His eyes were amber, shining in the darkness like a cat’s. 
“What the hell?” 
The sound of my own voice startled me out of that frozen moment of shock. I wrenched the gear stick into reverse, intending to spin the car around and get away from those inhuman eyes. 
“Wait, please.”

Observatory tour guide Megan Shaw has always had stars in her eyes, so when she all but runs down the otherworldly Raul, she barely blinks. It doesn’t hurt that Raul is hot – whether in his human form or his natural one – and that there’s an immediate mutual attraction.

But Raul is on the run from his alien overlords and soon Megan finds herself fighting against a foothold situation with nothing more than a couple of cattle prods and Muse for soundtrack.

However Earth is not the only planet at risk and with his species desperate to escape generations of oppression, will Raul’s loyalties shift as easily as his physical appearance?

No comments: