Sunday, June 8, 2014

Excerpt from Chasing Fireflies - Appears in Timeless Escapes: A Collection of Summer Stories


Excerpt:
He bent forward and pushed it toward her. “No, but it is the temporary residence of the person who stole my beach shoes.”
Her hand missed the pitcher handle when she reached for it. “I stole nothing. Hell, I should do you a favor and toss them in the ocean. They’re disgusting. How do you even have the nerve to give them to someone to wear?” She rested her elbows on the wide chair arms to steady herself.
Jack stood and leaned over her, placing both of his hands on the arms of her chair. “Maybe, but they’re mine and I’m here to claim them. Where are they please?” he whispered like it was an invitation for her to come closer.
She sank deeper into the chair. “I’ll get them later.” She slid down lower as she grew nervous. She never planned on meeting someone and he interested her but she was still coming to terms with her breakup. “I want to read my book and finish my drink.” She pressed her palm to his hard yet inviting chest. With the sun in her eyes she could only feel him and smell the sweet scent of pineapple, coconut, and a slight hint of rum that told her he was close. His chest pressed against her hand and she didn’t resist.
He leaned in closer and gently cupped her face. His skin was surprisingly soft—not weathered like she’d imagined. He lingered.
Damn sun. She couldn’t see him.
She closed her eyes and relied on the image of his magnificent eyes burned into her memory. She leaned back and welcomed his lips as he kissed her—softly, tenderly. It wasn’t the kiss of a craggy seafaring captain. No, it was the kiss of a man who knew what he wanted but who had been hurt. Confident, but enough reluctance to be wary. “I’ll be back later to collect my shoes. I’d prefer you didn’t toss them in the ocean.” He backed away as she sank into the chair and dropped her book.

Lita Harris
Author ~ Women's Fiction ~ Contemporary Romance
Website Facebook Twitter
 

1 comment:

ELF said...

Cute excerpt, thanks for sharing.