Sunday, January 5, 2014

 
 
I don’t know how many days have become yesterdays before Lone finds me sitting on the shore, still thumbing the small black stone, staring at the point where her pyre had submerged. My immortality is now a punishment greater than the banishment had ever been. I cannot move. I feel as though leaving from this place would somehow make it real and not just a nightmare. I am not ready to leave Ite behind.
She had been everything I wanted, but nothing I should have been able to have. It wasn’t because she was a beautiful woman. She was. A smart, cunning, beautiful woman who saw me, but it wasn’t even that. It was that she accepted me. She accepted me with all my flaws, all my secrets, and all the things I couldn’t explain to her even in the dark. Our coming together had been a treasure when all we wanted was someone soft and warm to edge out our cold. She was more than just warm flesh. She was a salve to my soul for wounds I did not claim.
My own thoughts return to taunt me. Her feistiness at Loulan in the market had led me to think how much I would enjoy bleeding for this woman. How fickle the fates. I would die a thousand deaths now to undo what has transpired. A part of me will bleed every day for her now.
 
~Through the Oracle's Mist

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This scene was so heart wrenching but necessary to the whole story. I'm along for the entire journey and I'm holding on tight. Waiting patiently for Warriors Watchtower and to see where the next path leads the Vengeleys and Cyrenna. Aedan you are a Master Storyteller you left me in Awe with how you ended Oracle.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I'm glad tae know the scene hit it's mark, AN that you are along for te ride!

CapeFearLibn said...

Aedan...You're a new-to-me author. Thanks for the excerpt.
capefearlibn at gmail dot com

Unknown said...

Pleased tae meet you Cathy Lee. I hope you get te chance tae read more than just te excerpts...THANK YOU for stoppin by!