Sunday, February 3, 2013

Why Do You Do It?

No, this wasn't an interview question from a recent podcast.  This particular query actually came from  my youngest son, David, who is the ripe old age of nine (and he knows EVERYTHING I do, just ask him).

How does one explain the writing process to someone who doesn't write, especially if that person hasn't even hit adolescence?  Do I talk about the difference between a plotter and a pantster?  Do I mention outlines, story boarding, and the like?  How do I tell him about the imaginary people in my head who become characters without him telling his teacher that "Mommy hears voices."  I thought about it for a while, and came up with an explanation I thought his prepubescent mind would be able to wrap around.

"I write because I have all these ideas in my head.  They're like movies that play in my brain, and if I don't get them out and onto paper my skull will explode."

David's response?

(Thoughtful expression, scrunched eyebrows.)  "Hmm.  Explode?"

"Yes, explode."

At this point his eyes light up and he smiles excitedly.  "Cool!  Can I watch?"

That's my boy.

2 comments:

Debby said...

Kids are great!
debby236 at gmail dot com

Unknown said...

They sure are, Debby, and often strangely wise. Wish there was a way to videotape those moments.