Sunday, February 3, 2013

A self-Indulgent Author's Interview- Part 2!


A self-indulgent interview, continued...

Which book has made you laugh?
Would You Rather? by Heimberg and Gomberg

Which book has made you cry?
Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult

Which book would you never have on your bookshelf?
Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James

What was your favourite childhood book?
Peat Moss and Ivy Meet Santa Claus.  It was a $2.99 book my mom picked up in the grocery store.

Which book would you give to a friend as a present?
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Which classic have you always meant to read and never got round to it?
Pride and Prejudice

What are your top five books of all time, in order or otherwise?
No order:
1. Harry Potter series
2. The Perfect Husband by Lisa Gardner
3. The Kindness of Strangers by Katrina Kittle
4. Columbine by Dave Cullen
5. Red Dragon by Thomas Harris
Honorable mentions because it is SO hard for me to pick only a top five: The Cradle Will Fall by Mary Higgins Clark, Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult, 24/7 by Jim Brown, Red Rain by R.L. Stine, Eyes Wide Open by Andrew Gross, The Oath by Frank Peretti, Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin, Honeymoon and Roses are Red by James Patterson, Live to Tell by Lisa Gardner, and The Sociopath Next Door by Martha Stout.

What is your favourite time of day to write?
The afternoon/evening

And favourite place to write?
my green chair in my living room.  It used to be my grandfather’s.

Longhand or word processor?
Microsoft Word

Which fictional character would you most like to have met?
Pierce Quincy from Lisa Gardner's books

Who, in your opinion, is the greatest writer of all time?
I respect a lot of different writers for a lot of reasons.  I have to answer a few.  I respect R.L. Stine tremendously, because while Goosebumps may never be required reading for classes in schools, the man can churn out a number of books that is unfathomable to me.  I am a huge fan of Lisa Gardner’s intense research and fantastic plot twists, and she continues to blow me away.  I love Agatha Christie’s writing, and I think she is definitely an all-time great.

Which book have you found yourself unable to finish?
The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown, The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

What is your favourite word?
Discombobulated
Other than writing, what other jobs or professions have you undertaken or considered?
Vet, veterinary technician, photographer, videographer, reporter, wedding planner, actress

What was the first piece you ever had in print?
I think an editorial I wrote about young marriage to the Athens-Banner-Herald when in college
I’d love to hear your answers to some of these questions!  Thanks for letting me indulge myself a little and ask these questions I’ve always wanted to answer!  Don't forget that by answering some of these in the comments of any of my posts today, you're entering to win a Chain of Command messenger bag.  The bag will be drawn on the afternoon of Feb. 4, and it will be announced on my Facebook Fan Page and Twitter.  Make sure you're following me on one of those to claim your prize:

Follow me on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/colbymarshall
Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/authorcolbymarshall

3 comments:

Catherine Lee said...

Red Dragon was one of the scariest and compelling books I ever read. I could not stop reading it and then I couldn't go to sleep afterwards.

I have not read numbers 2, 3, and 4 on your list. I'll have to check them out.
catherinelee100 at gmail dot com

Debby said...

I love Harry Potter and have not read Fifty Shades an do not want to.

colbymarshall said...

They're great books, Catherine!

I don't ever want to, either, Debby! It's one of those that I'll just stay far away from.