Sunday, July 13, 2014



The Marquesa's Necklace by P.J. MacLayne

Recently, I had a reader tell me that Harmony, the main character of my new book, reminded her a lot of me. I'll take that as a compliment, because I really like the lady I created in The Marquesa's Necklace. She's a bundle of contradictions and that's what makes her so interesting.

After all, who would expect a small-town ex-librarian to be involved in drug trafficking? The jury couldn't buy it either, and found her not guilty. Or who would believe she has a lot of money when she drives an old Ford Pinto and lives in a third-floor apartment of restored Victorian home? No one, and that's the way she likes it.

In fact, I admire Harmony so much that before I was done writing this book, I already knew there would be another. Maybe two more. And maybe more than that, as long as she keeps coming up with more interesting stories to tell me.


Here's a short excerpt:

“Harmony,” he said tentatively.
“Detective Thomason,” He might be trying to be friendly, but I still hadn’t forgiven him for arresting me.
He cleared his throat, and set the file back on his desk. “Did you let anyone borrow your car today?” he asked.
“No, my keys are right here.” I started digging through the contents of my purse.
“I’ll take your word for it,” he said, after I pulled out my checkbook, a packet of pink tissues, and a paperback with an almost-naked man on the front cover and piled them on the corner of his desk. His mouth twitched. “Have you made any new enemies recently, Miss Duprie?” I guess he got my message about the terms of our relationship.

“Besides a certain insufferable cop?” Even in the artificial fluorescent light, I saw the red rising in his cheeks. I could almost hear him counting to ten as I pretended to consider the question. “I think Larry, the florist, is ticked off that I’m not receiving flowers anymore. And Bart at the grocery store yelled at me last week when I went through the ten items or less line with fourteen items. But what does that have to do with someone stealing and wrecking my car?”

The Marquesa's Necklace is available at these retailers, and soon will be available in paperback as well.






http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebook/the-marquesa-s-necklace


I can be reached at https://facebook.com/pjmaclayne
And on Twitter at https://twitter.com/pjmaclayne










No comments: